There is a move for utilities, other corporations, and organizations to start charging extra to have their bills mailed to the consumer. They are trying to promote access to the bills online. It saves the cost of printing and for paper to be sure, but there is a cost. There are people that don’t use computers. They have their own reasons, to be sure, but some have little choice.
There are people who have physical barriers to them using computers, tablets, and smart phones. They might have carpel tunnel syndrome, arthritis, or other issues making it next to impossible to use keyboards, mice, or touch screens. The also might simply have problems understanding how to use new devices.
A $2 or $3 surcharge might not seem like much, but with it not being unusual to have 5 or more bills in the mail — $10, $15, or more can stress the fixed, low-income budget that many elderly or disabled have. For them, these new charges are like a form of discrimination.
This strip* was published before as “Wheel Tales of We’ll Make Cents” but we thought it would be better to publish more independently — hence the change in venue and name to “Wheel Tales of Willow City”.
“We’ll Make Cents” is an organization that helps support a number of not-for-profit causes which might get overlooked. Why not pop over and give them a visit and check out their current project.
Donations are actually hard to come by for Charities and other not-for-profit organizations. Consider what you might be able to donate. It might be a good time to clean that closet, attic, cellar, shed, or garage! You might have someone else’s next treasured possession. Perhaps you don’t live near Auckland and We’ll Make Cents, but there are people in need everywhere!
* Only the first stories were on We’ll Make cents. The more recent stories are being published here first.
- Sober Solitude – Wheel Tales of Willow City (gnometapestry.com)
- Free Parking – Wheel Tales of Willow City (gnometapestry.com)
- A Funny Thing Happened… – Wheel Tales of Willow City (gnometapestry.com)
- Ding-Dong! Nobody Calling! – Wheel Tales of Willow City (gnometapestry.com)
- My Eyes are Down Here! – Wheel Tales of Willow City (gnometapestry.com)
- Inter-What? – Wheel Tales of Willow City (gnometapestry.com)